Organize an activity
Putting together an exciting event can be a great way to generate widespread interest around World Diabetes Day and engage families and members of the public, businesses and governments. You could:
- Organise a diabetes information session for families in your community
- Organise a “Learn about diabetes” event in schools
- Set up a press conference
- Organise a family-themed physical activity such as a mini sports day
Top tip: Invite local celebrities or members of the press to your event to generate some excitement and reach a wider audience
- Arrange an activity at your workplace
- Organise and/or sponsor a local diabetes fair
Your 5-step guide to organising an event
Start planning what you want to do as early as possible – remember the emphasis should be on something that involves the whole family
Set up an organising committee
Find a venue – be sure to find somewhere that is family-friendly
Spread the word – e.g. through social media. Make sure to upload your event information on the WDD online map
Share your success as far and wide as possible!
Engage your local community by finding local partners to support and collaborate on the organisation of your activity. You could for example reach out to a local service club. IDF has signed a partnership with Lions Clubs International to help prevent diabetes and improve the quality of life for the millions affected. They may be interested in a joint activity.